Friday, January 1, 2016

Staying Focused in the New Year


Happy New Year!  Here's a wish for everyone to have the best year yet!  I'm not one for resolutions. So, around this time last year I was perusing the blogosphere and kept reading postings about finding your word of the year. Finding my word? At first I didn't get it, but after several readings, it finally hit me and I realized that this was something that was good for me to do.

So I began a journey to think of one single word to represent me for the year. It took about a week for me to really narrow it down. I came up with words such as joy, happiness, and peace but, I knew they weren't really what I was looking for.   After choosing my word, I realized it was much like making a resolution or a goal, but to me it was more realistic.  

 I finally decided that the word to best represent me for 2015 was cleanse.  I felt there were many things that needed to be cleansed out my life...negative people, negative thoughts, the clutter building up in my spare bedroom.  I felt so discombobulated, and just simple lost.  There was so much going on in my life I felt like I was being pulled in so many different directions that I was lost.  I wasn't thinking straight.  At times, it felt like I was running on a hamster wheel and getting nowhere.   I literally felt like I was walking around in a cloudy, foggy mess. 
A photo posted by sunshineandelephants (@sunshine.and.elephants) on

I needed to clear the air around me and cleanse myself of all the negativity around me that cause me to feel so lost and confused. First thing I did was take a short hiatus from Facebook. This is where I found most of the negativity happening.  The second thing I did was to pray for those that I viewed negatively based on things they had said or done to me or around me.  And lastly, I did some self-meditation and/or journal writing to help clear my mind every evening and allow my mind and body to relax.

I went back to read my journal and found this piece that I wanted to share:

"With this cleansing, I will be spreading more joy and happiness.  I hope to achieve more inner peace.  I believe it will allow me to find my inner voice again and clear away the dust that's clouding my vision.  I am so looking forward to this cleanse. "

I'm happy to report that my word followed me the whole year through and I felt a sense of inner peace happening.  The room de-cluttering didn't happen until after Christmas, but I made it happen before 2015 came to an end.  I wish I had thought to take pictures of the room before I began.  It doesn't make much sense to show you the room now, but you would be so proud of me.   I could not start another year off with a cluttered life.

It is now 2016 and my word for the year popped up right away.  I guess you could say it found me instead.   This year's word is...



 Focus.  

Focus
noun:  a central point, as of attraction, attention, or activity
verb:  to concentrate: to focus one's thoughts or to direct one's attention or efforts



Last year, I had difficulties with focusing.  With 2015 being the year to cleanse, I'm looking forward to 2016 and being able to center my thoughts and actions as I focus on more positive living.   


Source




Linking with Ember Grey and others here.

No comments:

Post a Comment