Thursday, August 6, 2015

Food For Thought

This plant pretty much represents how I'm feeling this week.  Dry, brittle, and neglected.  To be totally honest, I've been in a such a funky mood.  I haven't been sleeping well.  I've been exhausted from work.  My food choices have not been the best.  My body is sore and my thoughts have been fleeting.




I officially go back to work this upcoming Monday, but I've been busy with work for the past 2 weeks.  Workshops and conferences last week. By choice, I went in on Monday to help set up the library that was disarrayed after new carpet had to be put in.  The company came earlier  than expected and books were promptly removed to accommodate.   For the last 2 weeks, the librarian (who just had a baby in June), her assistant, her father, and 2 volunteers have been feverously working to get it back into a functional state.  Picture thousands of books displaced in no particular order, because they needed to be moved in a hurry...ONE HUGE MESS!  I wish I had thought to take a picture.  Anyway, I went in to help out and I think I may have picked up too many books at once.  Or, didn't bend down appropriately to pick things up.  Or, maybe it was when the cart we were pushing, that had a few hundred books on it, lost a wheel and I was holding it up to get the wheel back on.  All I know is that I hurt my back. Nothing major, but it hurts.

Tuesday and Wednesday were our annual Fact and Fee Days.  Parents can come register their children, pay fees, and pick up schedules from 7am - 7pm.  We do close for lunch, but that time goes by fast.  We, counselors, are expected to be there the entire time although we are not back at work.  These days are extremely busy and tiresome.

As I mentioned, I haven't been sleeping well.  Monday night, I only got about 3 hours of sleep. The neighbors dogs woke me up around 2am.  Mind you, I had just gone to bed around midnight.  I think I drifted back off to sleep shortly after 4:00 since that was the last time I remember checking the clock. When my alarm went off at 5:30, man I was tired.



To top it all off, I'm not feeling too thrilled about my upcoming birthday.   Plans are starting to fall apart.  Friends who had agreed to go to certain outings with me have backed out.  Some are not even responding to my messages.  I wanted to attend a local cooking class and it filled up before I purchased my ticket.  That was the biggest disappointment.  When I messaged everyone the news, then they were upset that we wouldn't be able to attend.  REALLY?!?!  I called and placed myself on the waiting list.  I will go alone if a spot becomes available.  I've decided to cancel plans for the harbor cruise because of the same nonsense.

And finally, my son's car went kaput.  The mechanic said it was useless to fix because it would cost more than its worth.  So now we are down a car and I feel really bad.  This is the son who attends college 3 hours away.  I really don't have the money to get him another one at this time, so I guess I'll be looking for some part time work.

Its funny how life can change so quickly and detour off its regular course.  One little monkey wrench can  sabotage the best of plans.  Sometimes its like a punch in the stomach.  Have you ever felt that? That unexpected punch that just says, "Boom! Here I am now deal with me."  That unexpected punch that just knocks you off your feet.  When things do not go as planned, it can be really stressful.  Stress that can keep you awake at night.  Stress that can make you second guess yourself.  Stress that can make life seem bleak.  You know, the type of stress that tense up your muscles and cause you to think of all the decisions of the past you wish you could change.  What do you do when life beats you down?  Do you just give up and raise the white flag in surrender? Do you just ignore it and hope that it just goes away?  How do you get through it? 
..........................................................Prayer.........................................................

How do you deal with the challenges that life throws your way?

Check out my Linking Up page to see where I will be sharing this post.




No comments:

Post a Comment